Often in an attempt to remove wrinkles, our focus lies on using cosmetics and having supplements when it actually should be on exercising.
Yes, that’s right! Exercising your facial muscles or what is known as “face-building” can improve the alignment and elasticity of your facial skin, taking several years off of your face. Such exercises also enhance blood circulation and lymph flow, which consequently helps in eliminating puffiness and making your face more expressive.
In fact, science has proof of face-building’s effectiveness. In a 20-week long experiment on 16 women between the ages of 40 to 65 years, doctors found that face-building exercises helped improve facial skin and reduced signs of aging (1)!
Luckily for you, facial exercises don’t take much of your time or energy. 12 minutes is all it takes to complete a set of these 7 age-defying exercises:
Best Effective Exercises To Get Rid Of Wrinkles
1. Forehead Muscle Tone Exercise
To tone the muscles in your forehead, this exercise is a must!
- Begin by putting your fingers on your forehead with gaps between each finger.
- Now, raise your eyebrows and then lower them as you would if you were surprised at something. Ensure that your forehead is not creased in any way.
- Repeat 10 times.
2. Eye Exercise
The purpose of exercising your eyes is to help prevent the development of wrinkles in the corner of your eyes as well as around them.
- To do this exercise you have to move your eyes from the right to the left and then from the left to the right.
- Next, move them from the top to the bottom and vice versa. This completes one set.
- Do 5 sets in total each time. While doing this exercise make sure only your eyes move and not your jawbone.
3. Laugh Line Exercise
Don’t like the look of your laugh lines? Also known as the “nasolabial folds” or “smile lines,” these lines can be removed with the help of a simple exercise.
- All you have to do is spell an ‘O’ with your lips.
- You can pronounce the letter out loud to help with the exercise.
- Repeat pronouncing it a total of 10 times.
4. Cheekbone Exercise
Sagging cheeks are the most obvious, and probably one of the worst, signs of aging. If you want to firm up and strengthen your cheeks and cheekbones, this exercise is a must!
- To begin, pull your lips in your mouth so they are not visible.
- Now, take the index fingers of each hand and place them on the corner of your lips (one finger on one corner) respectively.
- Press your fingers on these corners and then tug the corners towards your ears with the help of your fingers.
- Go back to the starting position to complete one set. Do 10 sets in total.
5. Chin Exercise
Double chins are an eventuality of advancing age. However, you can reduce them and tone up the muscles in your neck by doing the exercise we’re about to explain.
- In this exercise, you will have to stick your tongue out, ensuring it points in an upward direction.
- Next, turn your head up; not all the way through, but halfway.
- Raise your chin and hold the position for about 10 seconds before coming back to the original position.
- Now repeat this exercise, only this time, your tongue, head, and chin should point downwards. This will complete a single set and you will have to do 5 of them to complete the exercise.
6. Nasolabial Fold Exercise
This is another exercise that can help you get rid of those beauty-killing laugh lines.
- For this exercise, you have to start by opening your mouth just a little bit and folding your lips inwards towards your teeth so they are not visible. (Kind of what your grandmother would look like without her dentures.)
- With your lips curved inward, increase the tension on your lips and hold the position for roughly 10 seconds.
- Get back to the original position and repeat 15 times.
7. Forehead Horizontal Wrinkles Exercise
This exercise will help minimize the wrinkles and worry lines on your forehead.
- First, place your hands behind your head and then bring them forward to the top of your head, ensuring they touch the edge of your hairline.
- Now pull back the skin on your forehead with the help of your hands and curve your lips to form the letter ‘O.’
- While in this position, try looking down with your eyes without bending your head. Stay in the position for 10, then get back to the starting position and repeat 20 times.
- Make sure you feel your forehead tense up when you do this exercise.
While doing any of these exercises, you shouldn’t exert too much pressure as that can lead to adverse effects. That said, these exercises will help you tighten facial skin and impart you with a youthful radiance if you keep up with them regularly.