Buchu Resin/Diosmin is a disaccharide derivative that consists of diosmetin substituted by a 6-O-(alpha-L-rhamnopyranosyl)-beta-D-glucopyranosyl moiety at position 7 via a glycosidic linkage. It has a role as an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory agent. It is a glycosyloxyflavone, a rutinoside, a disaccharide derivative, a monomethoxyflavone, and a dihydroxyflavanone. It derives from a diosmetin.
Diosmin is a semisynthetic drug indicated for the treatment of venous disease. Diosmin is a flavone that can be found in the plant Teucrium gnaphalodes. Diosmin is available as prescription medicine in several European countries and is available as a nutritional supplement in the United States and the rest of Europe. It should be noted that clinical studies have been inconclusive and no articles have been published pertaining to its use in the treatment of vascular disease. When used in rats, diosmin has been effective at mitigating hyperglycemia, and may also have antineutrino degenerative properties.
- Buchu Resin
- Resin, Buchu
Mechanism of Action of Diosmin
Ligand-activated transcriptional activator. Binds to the XRE promoter region of genes it activates. Activates the expression of multiple phases I and II xenobiotic chemical metabolizing enzyme gene. Diosmin is a semisynthetic drug indicated for the treatment of venous disease. Diosmin is a flavone that can be found in the plant Teucrium gnaphalodes. Diosmin is available as prescription medicine in several European countries and is available as a nutritional supplement in the United States and the rest of Europe. It should be noted that clinical studies have been inconclusive and no articles have been published pertaining to its use in the treatment of vascular disease. When used in rats, diosmin has been effective at mitigating hyperglycemia, and may also have antineutrino degenerative properties.
Indications of Diosmin
- Venous Insufficiency – general or unspecified but usually of the legs; coordinate IM with the specific vein (IM) or organ /blood supply (IM) if pertinent cope NoteImpaired venous blood flow or venous return (venous stasis), usually caused by inadequate venous valves. Venous insufficiency often occurs in the legs, and is associated with EDEMA and sometimes with VENOUS STASIS ULCERS at the ankle.
- Hemorrhoidal; hemorrhoidal disease; hemorrhoids – Swollen veins in the lower part of the RECTUM or ANUS. Hemorrhoids can be inside the anus (internal), under the skin around the anus (external), or protruding from inside to outside of the anus. People with hemorrhoids may or may not exhibit symptoms that include bleeding, itching, and pain.\
- Edema – general prefer specifics; coordinate IM with organ/diseases term (IM); egg-white edema: coordinate IM with OVALBUMIN (NIM if indexed at all); EPH (Edema, Proteinuria, Hypertension) gestosis, EPH & do not index under EDEMA unless it is particularly discussedScope NoteAbnormal fluid accumulation in TISSUES or body cavities. Most cases of edema are present under the SKIN in SUBCUTANEOUS TISSUE.
- Diosmin is a dietary supplement – used to aid the treatment of hemorrhoids and venous diseases, i.e., chronic venous insufficiency including spider and varicose veins, leg swelling (edema), stasis dermatitis and venous ulcers. The mechanism of action of Diosmin and other phlebotomists is undefined, and clinical evidence of benefit is limited. Diosmin is not recommended for treating the rectal mucosa, skin irritations, or wounds, and should not be used to treat dermatitis, eczema, or urticaria. Diosmin is not recommended for use in children or women during pregnancy.[rx]
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- High blood pressure
- Lymphedema (swelling of the arms)
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis
- Varicose veins
Contraindications of Diosmin
The gel formulation is contraindicated for application to mucosa, dermal irritations, or wounds, and it should not be used to treat dermatitis, eczema, or urticaria. Diosmin is not recommended for use in children.
Dosage of Diosmin
For venous insufficiency, the dosage is 2 tablets daily. For acute hemorrhoidal attack, the dosage is 6 tablets daily for 4 days, followed by 4 tablets daily over the next 3 days.[rx] For chronic venous disease, the dosage is 2 tablets a day for at least 2 months.[rx]
- For the treatment of internal hemorrhoids – 1350 mg of diosmin plus 150 mg of hesperidin twice daily for 4 days followed by 900 mg of diosmin and 100 mg of hesperidin twice daily for 3 days. Some researchers also try 600 mg of diosmin three times daily for 4 days, followed by 300 mg twice daily for 10 days, in combination with 11 grams of psyllium daily. However, this lower diosmin dose does not seem to be as effective.
- For prevention of relapse internal hemorrhoids – 450 mg of diosmin plus 50 mg of hesperidin twice daily for 3 months of therapy.
- For the treatment of leg wounds due to blood flow problems (venous stasis ulcers) – the combination of 900 mg of diosmin and 100 mg of hesperidin daily has been used for up to 2 months.
Side Effects of Buchu Resin
Diosmin is safe for most people when used short-term for up to 6 months. It can cause some side effects such as stomach and abdominal pain, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, skin redness and hives, muscle pain, blood problems, and altered heart rate.
In some 10% of users, diosmin causes mild gastrointestinal disorders or skin irritations (hives, itching), stomach pain, nausea, heart arrhythmias, or anemia.[rx] Preliminary research indicates no evidence of toxicity.[rx] The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) concluded in 2001 that there was inadequate evidence on which to base an expectation of safety. As of 2013, the FDA did not revise this position.[rx]
Drug Interactions of Buchu Resin
We currently have no information about DIOSMIN Interactions.
Pregnancy Category of Buchu Resin
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
- Not enough is known about the use of diosmin during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- Diosmin might make bleeding disorders worse. If you have a bleeding disorder, don’t use diosmin.
[bg_collapse view=”button-orange” color=”#4a4949″ expand_text=”Show More” collapse_text=”Show Less” ]