Targeting a particular body part to lose fat does not involve rocket science. If you are leading a healthy, well-balanced lifestyle, your body will shed fat overall, and not just from the thighs.
Thigh fat is mainly subcutaneous fat that is present beneath the skin. You will need to do high-intensity workouts that target specific areas to help tone the thighs. These workouts, along with a healthy diet and lifestyle changes, can help you get sustainable results.
How To Lose Thigh Fat
You need a triangular approach to get good results – specific exercises, a healthy diet, and lifestyle management.
1. Exercises To Reduce Thigh Fat At Home
- Leg Up
This a good thigh exercise. It will help you shed fat from the lower body
- Lie down on the floor, facing the ceiling.
- Keep your palms on the sides, facing the floor, and relax.
- Lift both the legs at a 30-degree angle from the ground.
- Hold for about five seconds. Bring the legs down to the floor slowly.
- Repeat 10 times.
This stretching exercise will ensure proper blood circulation.
- Sit upright with your legs joined and stretched.
- Slowly move the legs apart as far as you can.
- Breathe in as you bend right to touch the toes of the right foot with both your hands.
- Try to touch the knees with your head. Relax and hold for 5 seconds.
- Slowly lift your head and bring your hands to each side of your pelvis. Breathe out while doing so.
- Do this for the left side.
- Repeat 10 times.
This is an effective way to lose fat from the thighs. Air cycling also takes care of your pelvic and knee joints.
- Lie on your back and face the ceiling.
- Lift your legs to 90 degrees with the floor.
- Start moving your legs as if you are cycling in the forward direction.
- Do this for 1 minute and then slowly put your legs down and relax.
- Move your legs up to 90 degrees and start air cycling in the backward direction for 1 minute.
- Repeat the set 5 times.
- Stand straight with your feet about 3 cm apart.
- Hold light weights in each hand.
- Step forward with your right leg and bend your left leg to come to a “proposing” position.
- Do this with the left leg.
- Repeat the set 10 times.
- Lie straight on the mat. Hold your head up by placing the palms of your hands behind your head.
- Lift your leg slowly and keep both legs straight.
- Move them apart vertically, bring them together, and move them apart again.
- Repeat 15 times with each leg.
Do this only when you have lost a good amount of fat from your thighs. This exercise helps to build muscles. Without losing the fat, if you build muscle, you may actually end up making your thighs look bigger.
- Stand with your shoulders relaxed and legs apart. Point your toes outward.
- Keep your upper body straight. Inhale and slowly lower your buttocks until you come to a sitting position.
- Hold for about 5-10 seconds.
- Repeat this 10 times.
This is a good exercise to work on the thigh and glute muscles.
- Get down on all fours, with the elbows straight and toes pointing toward the wall behind you.
- Look down at the floor so that the spine is parallel to it.
- Kick high at an angle such that the sole is parallel to the ceiling, and the thighs and calves are perpendiculars.
- After a few seconds, get back on all fours.
- Repeat this 15 times and do it with the other leg post that. You can increase the number of kicks based on your convenience.
Here are some additional exercises you can do:
- Cardiovascular exercises can be very effective in slimming your thighs. These include working out on cardio equipment like a stationary bike, treadmill, or elliptical trainer. Half an hour of cardio for at least five days a week helps in slimming down the lower body and maintaining healthy body weight.
- Aerobic exercises help in burning fat on your inner thighs and the rest of the body as well. Certain exercises like stair climbing, brisk walking, running, and dancing increase the heart rate and work out your thigh muscles. Hence, make it a point to indulge in aerobic exercises for at least 45 minutes a day, five days a week.
2. Dietary Changes
A healthy diet plays a key role in toning down the entire body, including the thighs. You need to follow some basic guidelines:
Check On Your Calorie Intake – Reduce your calorie consumption to 1200-1500 calories based on age, sex, and physical activity. As a result, your body will start utilizing the extra fat as a source of fuel. Cut down on empty-calorie sources and replace them with healthy foods.
Eat Healthy Protein – Include lean meat, eggs, pulses, and legumes as sources of protein in your diet. Aim to include protein sources in all your meals as protein is not only a major nutrient to build up muscles, but it also promotes satiety and regulates hunger (1). Have protein snacks between meals to curb hunger pangs.
Healthy Fat – Dieting does not mean you need to avoid fat. Fat is one of the important macros that help maintain the elasticity of the skin and make it smooth and control your hunger. A study found that consuming a PUFA-rich diet for 7 days decreased fasting ghrelin levels and promoted satiety levels (2). Consume nuts and seeds mixed with one teaspoon of clarified butter to enhance the taste.
Have More Fruits And Vegetables – Fruits and vegetables are low in calories and natural sources of fiber, which provides bulk to stool and helps in curbing hunger pangs (3). A study showed that increasing vegetable intake can help in maintaining weight (4).
Always consult with a doctor or nutritionist/dietitian before incorporating any changes in your lifestyle.
Turn Your Lifestyle Around
- We tend to accumulate a lot of fat when we overwork our body or mind. Proper rest is highly recommended for women who want to lose thigh fat or weight in general. Less than 7 hours of sleep can make you gain weight (5).
- Managing stress is very important. If you cannot control stress, the cortisol levels increase, which, in turn, stimulates the hunger hormone (6). Combine the above-mentioned exercises with some deep breathing practices to manage stress.
- Playing any sport, at least thrice a week, will help you in many ways. It can be playing fetch with your dog or playing soccer with your toddler. The adrenaline and the good hormones will help you lose weight and keep your hunger pangs at bay.
- Try and take out time for hiking, biking, or traveling to places that you always wanted to. Hiking and biking will help tone your thigh muscles, and traveling will help you see places and people that will open up a new world to you.
Shedding stubborn fat takes time, and there is no short cut method to achieve it without surgery. Though diet and lifestyle factors play a role, if you are lethargic and do not exercise, you will not be able to achieve your goal. Focus on healthy practices. As you lose total body fat, your legs and thighs will automatically get toned up.